Abortion Pill nowadays is the most popular pregnancy termination option
Medical abortion (Abortion Pill) - is a method of abortion in early pregnancy (6-7 weeks), which does not require surgical operation.
This method consists of a reception of the special drug in the presence of an obstetrician-gynecologist, which causes the death of the fetus: the uterus contracts, the mechanism is triggered the expulsion of the fetus from the uterus.
Medical abortion can be held for a maximum of 42-49 days from the first day of the last menstrual period in the presence of the ovum in the uterine cavity. The abortio pill is most effective for up to 4 weeks, when the fertilized egg more weakly attached to the uterus, and hormonal changes in a woman's body are not so expressed.
- It is the least traumatic abortion method, when its applied the lining of the uterus remains intact
- It does not require surgery
- Restoration of the menstrual function after 28-30 days
- It does not require anesthesia
- A history of allergy to drugs
- Chronic or acute liver failure
- Chronic adrenal insufficiency
- Smoking more than 20 cigarettes per day
- Active inflammation of any localization
Abortion by abortion pill is carried out either in the office of the gynecologist, or at home under the supervision of a physician. The procedure does not require anesthesia and surgical intervention. It can be made only in early pregnancy.
If you decide to perform medical abortion, make sure that you are fully conscious of what side effects and complications can cause this procedure.
The reasons that cause a woman to interrupt pregnancy, mostly highly individual. For some, the birth and upbringing of a child is a complicated financial problem, for others - problems with health or some other serious reasons. The main task of the doctor is to give full information on the conduct of the procedure and of the risks and threats to health, it may provoke.
Potentially, the procedure may cause the development of the following complications:- Incomplete abortion, in which case part of the fetus and the placenta remains in the uterus (may require additional surgery); - Severe bleeding, life-threatening; - Damage to the uterus (up to irreversible damage, preventing further conceiving and carrying a child); - The development of infectious inflammation.
It is recommended to discuss with the doctor all the possible risks of the procedure before taking the abortion pill. Ask your doctor to tell you what are typical complications and how often medical abortion causes death. Remember that if you choose to continue the pregnancy after taking the first pill, your child will be exposed to the risk of multiple birth defects. Therefore, your decision should be taken before the drug consumption.
While there is no evidence that medical abortion, if it took place without complications, can somehow influence the subsequent pregnancy. However, many experts suggest that the negative effect can still be.
Medical abortion can not be carried out if:
- The term of your pregnancy more than 9 weeks from the start of the last menstrual period (when taking certain medications, this period is reduced to 7 weeks);
- If you have an increased risk of uterine rupture (for example, you have surgical scars on the uterus);
- If there are medical contraindications for health reasons (for example, you have high blood pressure, you have diabetes, certain heart disease, kidney disease, epilepsy, etc.). The full list of contraindications you shall read your gynecologist performing the procedure;
- You have an intolerance to steroids;
- If you can not see a doctor after the procedure, or live in a place where there is no transport access to intensive care vehicle;
- If you have allergies to medicines used.
If you have at least one of the above contraindications, you'd better give up the medical abortion to surgical or even decide not to interrupt pregnancy.
Preparation for the procedure
If you decide to have a medical abortion, first you need to meet with your doctor to discuss the procedure. Your doctor is likely to undertake the following activities:
- Evaluate the state of your health and study your medical history;
- Send you for an ultrasound to confirm pregnancy and to identify factors that can complicate the procedure (ectopic pregnancy, tumors, etc.);
- Takes your blood and urine for the analysis;
- Tell you about the form of medical abortion and warn of the possibility of complications after the meeting.
Keep in mind that in some countries, abortion may be prohibited at the legislative level.
Here is the list of the states and cities where you can buy abortion pill in the USA
Taking the abortion pill
The abortion pill comes in the office of a gynecologist or a gynecological clinic. In some cases, the procedure is carried out at home, but previously you would still need to make a visit to your doctor so that he appreciated the opportunity to conduct the procedure and tell you about the possible complications.
The procedure can be made using the following pharmaceuticals:
Mifepristone and misoprostol tablets are taking. Taking the pills is made orally. This is the most common form of medical abortion. Most likely the prevalence of such a procedure was due to the ease of dosing regimens. Abortion with these pills is performed not later than seven weeks after the start of the last menstrual period (this is very important - a seven-week period is considered the first day of the last menstrual period). The pharmacological action of mifepristone is to block the action of the hormone progesterone, resulting in strains lining of the uterus and blocks the further growth of the embryo. Mode of action of misoprostol causes the uterus to contract, resulting in the embryo is expelled through the vagina.
If you decide to take these drugs, you will need to visit your doctor for two times. For the first time in order to get the drugs, and then - to the doctor see that the abortion is complete.
Mifepristone orally, misoprostol vaginally. In this method, the procedure uses the same formulations as in the previous, but misoprostol tablet is placed in the vagina.
Vaginal method of abortion reduces the side effects, but increases the risk of infection. This method allows to carry out the procedure with the term of pregnancy up to 9 weeks (after the first day of the last menstrual period).
Misoprostol vaginally. This method requires the development scheme of the drug, depending on the duration of pregnancy, your weight and age. Vaginal misoprostol is justified for abortion to completely clear the uterus of embryo remnants. Effectiveness of the method using a vaginal misoprostol is significantly lower than that of the above methods.
Side effects of the abortion pill
Pharmacological preparations used in medical abortion may cause the following side effects:
- Vaginal bleeding;
- Abdominal cramps;
Your doctor should tell you what may be the pain and side effects (depending on the duration of pregnancy). To reduce the pain and reduce the risk of complications, doctor can prescribe you antibiotics. Also, you need to stock a large number of sanitary napkins.
After the procedure
After the embryo, you may need medical assistance. You need to consult a doctor if:
- You started to bleed heavily (you change more than two pads each hour for two hours);
- You have any severe abdominal pain or back pain;
- Your temperature rises above 38 degrees;
- Vaginal discharge has a foul odor.
If vaginal bleeding does not start within 48 hours after taking the drugs may have an incomplete abortion (surgical intervention may be required).
After medical abortion, you definitely need to visit your doctor. He is convinced that the procedure was successful and that you have not observed any complications.
To reduce the risk of complications after medical abortion is not recommended to have sex, and to use tampons for two weeks.
After medical abortion, some women experience a variety of emotional distress. It may appear irrational anger, sadness, etc. These feelings are normal and pass quickly, but if you are concerned, you can talk with a therapist.
Preventing pregnancy after the procedure
A normal menstrual cycle usually begins 5-6 weeks after medical abortion. However, keep in mind that you can get pregnant even after a few days after the abortion. Talk about advance your doctor contraceptive methods that you can use after the procedure.